Sunday, May 9, 2010

Personal Experience: By Brittany Colon

I’ve stumbled upon seeing homeless people on the street many times but there is one incident where I will never forget. I dance in the town Englewood and every time I go there is always this lady that sits and sleeps at the same bench. I’ll admit, I was scared to pass by her because I didn’t know if she was going to approach me or not. I would try not to make eye contact with her and even ignore her if she tried to say something. But then as I got comfortable with seeing her every day I realized that I shouldn’t be afraid because she is a regular person like you and I. It was sad to see that she was all alone. I would go home and think about how she felt and how she survived every day. It got me thinking to put myself in her shoes and to think how she might be feeling and to think what she may be going through. It got me thinking how it would feel to not have a family or home. I don’t think I would ever survive being homeless. It made me realize how strong she was to survive through the day all by herself. So I decided to do something special for her to show her that there is hope out there. When I was on my way to m dance class I sat next to her and had a little conversation and told her that everything will be ok. I gave her a bag of food, a winter coat, and some money. She had the biggest smile on her face. I knew I had made a difference in her life and gave her the hope she needed.

4 comments:

  1. The last sentence in Brittany's post is what stands out to me the most. Hope. Just one word. That is all we need. If we can give the homeless people hope and convince them that things will change for the better, then maybe they might try to change their lives. Many homeless people believe that there is no hope for them. They figure that there is no one out in the world that cares about them so why should they care about themselves. All it takes is one small gesture to give someone hope. You never know, you could easily help someone want to live a better life. If homeless people feel like there is no reason to live or change, then they will continue being the way that they are. Brittany did something that is very admirable. She went out of her way to help this lady, not because it's "the right thing to do," but because she knew that she could help make a difference in this person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, your act of kindness as small as it may seem to you might have changed her life. We never know what goes through a person’s mind or what went on earlier that day. Your actions would have probably stopped her from committing suicide or committing a crime in order to survive for the day. We will never understand what they are feeling until we are in their shoes. For you to actually take the time to think about her and her feelings says a lot about you and your character. If we had more people in this world thinking like you think then not only will suicide rates be lower but crime rates too. That lady will probably remember that gesture for the rest of her life and I bet she is unconditionally grateful that you thought of her and treated her like the human being that she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany did what was right. When you see someone that needs help you should go and help them. Just like perla said, "we never know what goes through a person's mind or what went on earlier that day." That is very true and explains to you. You never really know exactly what this person went through, and you should try to help every way possible. Brittany probably made this lady's day, just by one small act of kindness. Thats all that people really need. To feel loved, to know that someone cares for you, and is watching you. If no one cared for you you would feel very depressed but once you have love in your life it all changes. This is why every moment and chance i get to help a homeless person i do. It makes a huge difference in their lives and i love to make people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, wow, you have a great heart. We need more people like you in the world. You definitely made a difference in that woman’s life. You showed her “hope”, something she has probably never had. You opened up a new world to her, where there is faith, and love and kindness. Just even a simple hello would probably have made that woman’s day, but no, you went out of your way to help her and hopefully attempt to get her back on her feet again. Right now I am lost for words. You never hear stories like this around because no one cares about the homeless. I don’t know what else to say other than thank you. You have really made a difference. It may not seem like a whole lot to you but from the outside looking in it is apparent that God has guided you in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete